Saturday, June 26, 2010

No ride but brewed

Saturdays are of course a busy day for us at the shop, thankfully we're open 10-5, not 10-7 like weekdays. This means I arrived home around 5:45 or so. After a phone conversation with my wife, who broke a spoke this morning, and satiating my hunger, I was in no mood to ride, and was rapidly running out of daylight for anything more than a quick ride. Sure I have lights, and a great path to ride on, but alas it was not charged. So instead of wallowing in my lonely sadness (all my friends were out of town or otherwise busy), I got off my duff and brewed a batch of beer.
I didn't get any photos of the boil, but here's my awesome homemade wort chiller cooling my still very hot wort down to an acceptable temperature for the yeast.
It's a big coil of copper tubing. Works great.

This is a golden ale, should take 4-5 weeks to complete, hopefully I can send some on RAGBRAI with my friends who actually get to go the whole week. Another hazard of bike shop employment in Iowa, little to zero RAGBRAI. Once cooled, with yeast added, I dumped it in a bucket and stuck in in a closet.

The golden ale is in the bucket, a double IPA is in the carboy, started that
one nearly 5 weeks ago, it is getting close to being ready to bottle.

To celebrate all my hard work, I cracked open the last of my remaining homebrewed wheat beer.
It's got extra hops in it for extra goodness.
The CITA/Rasmussen pint glass was a door prize at some race.

Planning on waking up at a normal time on Sunday and getting some riding done then. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment