Sunday, August 29, 2010

pre 12 hours race bike shake down

Went out for a little "tune up" ride with Kyle on our mountain bikes that we're both planning on riding during different events in the 24 Hours of 7 Oaks. Minor tweaks here and there, and a bit or breaking in of cables and brakes and such. We've been virtually unable to ride our mountain bikes this season thanks to the terrible weather that made most/all the trail in the area into swampy messes.
This 30-ish miles on pavement was the longest I've ridden this bike all year. I learned a few things. Firstly, the seat is not so hot for longer efforts. WTB Silverado does not play nice with my butt, can't exactly pin point it, but holy hell do I need a different one. Seems a slightly shorter stem would help with longer events. Out of the box my Jamis 29er is an aggressive xc race machine, with a lower than I'd prefer front end, which is great for pure xc racing, not so hot for endurance events. So a little shorter stem should fix my problems.
Definitely shouldn't have waited this long for a break in/fit test ride, but whatever. I'm not in any kind of shape, have no serious goals, and expect to do between 6 and 10 laps, depending on the length and condition of the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment