Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Regular updates? miles and beers

In my attempt to keep updating this blog, I'm going to attempt to get on some sort of 2 or 3 or 4 times a week schedule. Not sure that's gonna work yet, but here's my second entry in the last couple days, so here goes nothin'.

As of yet my efforts to increase my fitness have been limited to doing some push ups and sit ups at home. The weather's been okay and riding outside wouldn't be too bad, but I've been busy getting caught up on stuff around the house that I neglected during the holidays. That said my outdoor mileage is not horrible. Total outdoor miles on the year sit at 28. I am still planning on taking some photos so I can track my progress and/or show off my terribly unsexy body. I'd wager cutting back on the booze and/or stopping all together would help me tone up, but then I'd go crazy, so it's a trade off. I'd rather eat and drink what I want (within reason) and just ride more/work out more than restrict myself. In that bent, here's some beers I had recently:

Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds. Quoth their website:

This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.
At 11% ABV and 100 IBUs, this is a serious IPA. The flavors are very much as described with a floral and dirty/dark citrus nose, and a thick, but smooth malt body. The milk sugar imparts a complexity and depth to the malt body that is very interesting, very unusual, and actually pretty good while drinking. The aftertaste however is not something I enjoyed at all. At first the tang and almost sour flavor is interesting and a nice addition to the intense citrusy hop flavors, but over time it builds to something that's coating and not that pleasant. If you like IPAs and unusual beers, give this a try, but I'd recommend sharing it. The 750ml is far too much of this to get through comfortably just because of the weird after taste. In all other respects the beer is outstanding.

Up next we have Heavy Handed IPA from Two Brothers.
Wet hopped, oak aged, six hop varieties involved, this thing should be all but custom made for a hop head who enjoys fancy IPA variations. I found it okay. Outstanding it was not, hoppy to be sure, and deep in hop flavor, but otherwise it was a beer that I feel like I've had a hundred times before. Not that is by an stretch of the imagination a poorly made beer, nor is there a flaw in the recipe; it is well made and a decent idea, I've just had it before. There was nothing about this beer that made it any different/special/interesting from other highly hopped IPAs. The oak aging was present but hardly noticeable under the piles of hops, and nothing else about it is terribly interesting. Perhaps I should find some of their regular IPA and try the two back to back, or maybe I should get other oaked IPAs so I can compare and contrast, but I probably wouldn't bother with this again, save for such situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment