Monday, January 31, 2011

A rereview and then some.

Not terribly long ago I reviewed Bell's Hopslam, I was admittedly not a huge fan, doubly so considering the price. I also noted that I'd have to try it again in a different frame of mind and attempt a more objective review. My preconceived notion for what it was supposed to be is not without good reason. You see, it's called Hopslam and the label says,
"A biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale. With a name like Hopslam, what did you expect?"
Plus the ABV is a fairly hefty 10%. So I've got it in my head that this is a monster IPA with 100+ IBUs, crushingly bitter hop flavors, and insane amounts of layered hop flavors. What I got instead was a fantastically smooth, 70-ish IBU IPA with amazing floral/citrus/pine aroma, a bit of bitterness, and a honey supported malt profile that is unique and wonderful.

For the record: I was wrong about this beer. It's wonderful, interesting, and worth the money. Not as a daily drinker of course, but an occasional treat to be sure.
New photo offered as proof:
Onward and upward.

New Glarus Raspberry Tart

Fun fact: I love interesting beers. Currently sours and/or wild fermented beers are holding my attention and are supplanting big IPAs as my favorite style. I retrieved this beer from Wisconsin over the xmas holidays. It is more lightly tart than actively sour, and doesn't have that distinct lactic fermented flavor I love. Regardless, it is a quality beverage more akin to raspberry wine than most beers, but it is carbonated and has other beer-y properties. New Glarus also makes an excellent cherry version that I've mentioned before, and despite largely preferring raspberries to cherries in nearly all foods, I think I actually like the cherry beer better. Not entirely sure why, perhaps it's more sour, or the cherry flavor plays better with the beer ingredients. Whatever the reason is, I'll have to try the cherry one again soon to really compare. And of course I'll write a little something about my thoughts.

In commuting/bike riding news, the BRR Ride is coming this Saturday. I'm 99% sure I'm going, it should be a good time. The Des Moines area is currently in the middle of another media hyped giant snow death storm pt 3 (or some such nonsense). Which means tomorrow's commute will be snowy and probably fun as hell (I'll try to remember pictures), and my once routine Tuesday night trivia will likely be a failed venture. Again. Stupid weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment