Thursday, April 28, 2011

Royal mile/Red Monk and a new one from Summit

Last night I ventured into Des Moines to eat dinner with some friends and use my last Groupon to the Royal Mile. When I arrived around 6:30 the place was really really packed. I figured there were just a bunch of last minute Groupon-ers, but I soon learned that was only partially to blame. A flier alerted me to a new beer from Summit was being shown off via firkin, and even the founder of the company was there hanging out. While I didn't get to meet him, I did drink some of the new beer. It was really really good. Gold Sovereign Ale is part of their limited release Unchained series, where brewers are given free reign to do whatever they want. This beer is reportedly a Victorian era pale ale, but with a modern twist: 100% organic malts. I briefly wondered if there were non-organic malts in the 19th century but I was quickly distracted by the fruity elements of this beer, as well as the clean and balanced finish. Pear and apricot notes made up most of the nose, with a hefty malt body and spicy hop balance did the heavy lifting. The whole thing was well balance, easy to drink but required some thought to pull out all the subtle flavors. I'm sure my not so great palette missed a bunch, but I liked it nonetheless. This is the part of the review where I'd normally post a picture, but the area around the firkin was super crowded and photo friendly, and the beer looked like any other beer in a pint glass. Plus I kinda forgot until after I had finished it. Ooops. After a hearty fish and chips platter, my friends took off and I moved to the bar upstairs at the Red Monk, a killer Belgian place I'm sure I've mentioned before.

I had a couple old favorites, and then with considerable help from the highly knowledgeable bartender, I gave the La Chouffe Blonde a try.



Sorry for the sideways photo, but my phone and computer are arguing and I had to upload the photo from my phone, then write this entry on the computer. Anyway, just tilt your head or something. Back to the beer, La Chouffe is a great blonde with a slightly hoppier flavor than a lot of other Belgian blondes. Mind you, there's not a lot of hop in there, but a little more than you'd expect. The fruity/citrus notes of the style are pleasant and blend well with more complex hints of flavors from the yeast and hops.

1 comment:

  1. I gotta say this is the weakest yet which I've seen out of the unchained series so I hope the next one brings them back to form. (it might have also been that they released it as a pre-summer spring beer and then the weather took a jump back to february)

    ReplyDelete