Thursday, June 2, 2011

I'm back on the intertubes







I am finally back online, and a host of computer issues that were ultimately resolved by my friend Markk, I now have a functioning computer for the first time in about 3 weeks. I used my smartphone to do most webstuff, but blogging from it, or any longer form writing period was a horrible hassle, so I didn't do any. But now I'm back with some great news: Hy-Vee in Ankeny finally has reasonable bike parking. This is best explained visually:

Old rack. That van is nearly always there, and it has clearly hit the rack at least once. Not only is that thing not secure, I'm not terribly sure on how to lock anything to it. I usually just leaned my bike up against the building and locked the front wheel to the frame and tried to be quick inside. Ankeny has basically zero bike theft, so this was never a problem, but still isn't a good way to do things.

New racks. Four kinked, inverted U/staple style racks. Huge improvement. These are actually secure, and while they only provide a maximum of 8 spots, they are a big leap forward. I am actually pretty excited they finally got these things installed. When I took these pics (earlier this week) it must have been the first day because there was still concrete dust covering the mounting hardware.

That's all for now, I'll try to get back to regular updates in the coming days.

1 comment: