Wednesday, June 22, 2011

riding more and a new bike related beer



This last week has been a busy one both at the shop and on the bike. Several small/medium sized group rides as well as a few solo evening/night rides were had. The weather somehow cooperated enough for me to get out for 20-60 miles 5 days in the last week, sadly all were pavement oriented. Rain has been prevalent but mostly during the overnight hours, so days and evenings were gorgeous for riding, sunshine, warm but not hot temps, low to moderate wind. Hell yeah.

While I was busy riding, I was not busy taking pictures. So I have no photographic evidence of my recent increase in mileage. I did shoot a video of the new High Trestle Trail bridge at night, but have not done anything to/with it yet, but I plan to in the next week or so. Short version: super duper cool, go ride it after dark. Saturday a group of us rode from Ankeny to the bridge, got to the bridge right at dusk, saw the bridge in the dark, then rode home. Of course we stopped for liquid nourishment at the Take Down in Slater and the Flat Tire Lounge in Madrid. Both very nice places full of bike ridin' folks.

My beer drinking was not limited to bars near bike trails. I have been drinking at home. Bicycles and beer so well together many breweries name beers for bikes/bicycle stuff/trail/any bike related thing you can think of. As a lover of both things, these beer always attract me for better or worse I feel compelled to give them a shot. So, when I saw Lakefront's Fixed Gear, I had to pick it up. It was clearly not optional.

Quoth the labe:
Inspired by the energy and audacity of the fixed gear courier.
I hope they were inspired by actual messengers and not the fixed gear hipster, who while possibly possessing similar skills, is still a poser and has bought into a prepackaged identity. The beer inside probably was wrought with working messengers in mind as it is very good and acceptably strong. The color is much brighter red than my crummy photo shows, with a creamy white head and a fantastic floral nose, which sadly, my camera couldn't capture either. Reportedly only 34 IBUs but tastes like more with a strong malt back that lingers on the palette more than the hops, but they play very well together. The 22oz bottle packs a minor punch at 6;5% abv, more would probably become a distraction flavor wise, and less wouldn't match the bold flavors. If you see this beer, even if you're not a cyclist, give it a shot. If I remember correctly, it was only $5 maybe less, which is entirely worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment