Sunday, February 6, 2011

Supposed to be a BRR ride report

So, here we are on Super Bowl Sunday, one day after the Bike Ride to Rippey, and a few days after the weather has warmed up somewhat. We're now in the 20s and 30s instead of the single digits, and there's significantly less wind. I planned on riding BRR yesterday, got up a touch early, had the day off of work, etc, but when I awoke I had a migraine and other physical problems that kept me in the bathroom or on the couch for most of the day. I'm understandably pissed off about this, but it's an impotent anger (like most of my anger), so I can basically just shrug and look to this afternoon and try to enjoy a football related party, that should be fun.

While I was too ill yesterday to ride, earlier in the week I was still commuting. Tuesday night in particular was rough. Snowing a bit, crazy headwinds that drifted that snow, and a -15F or so wind chill. While such weather is nigh impossible to take a picture of, I tried.

That is the huge flag at the Kum n Go next to the bike shop. It's maybe 30 yards away, and without the blowing snow, should be easier to see. If you enlarge that image, you can see the rope being pulled well away from the pole. The wind was 30+ mph at this point. The actual commute was pretty rough, but I only had to get off and hike maybe a combined 300 yards, not horrible considering the conditions. Granted I was pedaling really hard, and was exhausted when I got home.

I have had some new beers in the past week too. First up is Fort Collins Brewing's Wheat Wine Ale.
Very similar to a barely wine, but with a malt bill that's a full 50% wheat malt. It's interesting, grainy, bready, smoother than you'd think, but not super smooth, which is actually just right. It's big on flavor with lots of fruity notes hiding in there if you can get through in complex malt hit. The smell reminded me of a slightly sharper wort smell, that wonderful aroma that fills your house when home brewing. It is pretty great.

2011 Bigfoot is out! This is one of my favorite seasonal offerings from any brewer. Sierra Nevada makes a wonderful barley wine every spring/late winter, and it's always great. This year is no exception. And of course, I lack the will power to save a bottle of two from last year to see what's different/how it ages. So I cannot give that kind of comparison, but it's really good. Hefty barley/grain flavors with a serious hop backup and a punch (it's about 9%abv), and you can kinda taste the alcohol, but in a good way. I'm so excited about this beer. Go get some.

No comments:

Post a Comment