Sunday, March 6, 2011

Getting in ruts, nothing new, and up coming westward trip

So I sat down to write something after a bit of a gap in posting, and found that aside from talking about how everyone who's tried my bourbon beer has liked it, there is nothing new in my world of beers and bikes. Sure there's new stuff showing up at the shop, but nothing I care enough about to share here, and I'm drinking all the same stuff I've already written about. Finishing 12 packs of beers already tried, and making a dent in my stacks of homebrew is all I've really been drinking. Riding has been commuting but the weather hasn't been anything to bother talking about, either or good or bad. Crummy spring weather with a little rain, a little snow flurry, and plenty of clouds. Soon I hope the weather will turn and I can ride mountain bikes again, but until then, I've been mostly commuting. Hell, this weekend I was given a can of Gubna by a friend who tried it and wasn't a big fan, so he gave me one. I was going to do a little write up about it, then figured I probably already had. Sure enough, I went back a checked, and there it was. Even super awesome fancy beers that I can't buy in Iowa aren't new.

This recent rut of sorts I'm finding myself in is actually something I consciously try to avoid. There's such a huge world out there of new beers, new booze in general, new ways and places to ride bikes, doing the same thing, or drinking the same thing all the time, seems horribly short sighted to me. Sure, I love drinking a quality beer I've had before, it's familiar, still good, and some beers you can only really get a handle on after you'd tried it a few times, see me and Hopslam. But people who show up at a bar and always order a Bud Light or Sam Adams, or hell, even fancier offerings weird me out. Variety is half the fun of drinking beer. Same goes for riding bikes. Sure it's incredibly fun to rail a corner you know very well, it's a ton of fun to find out what's around the next corner of a trail you've never ridden or at least haven't ridden much. I guess I'm only really adventurous in booze and bikes, fields I know pretty well. The rest of my life isn't terribly adventurous. Upon reflection I'm not sure why this is, nor how I feel about it. Maybe being adventurous in a few choice aspects of one's life is enough. Maybe the guys that only drink Bud Light have super exciting existences outside of their drink of choice and they find a familiar comfort in it. Hrm.

The only other news I've got to share is that towards the end of this month (18-27th) I'll be visiting the Seager's in Eugene, Oregon. As many of you know, the pacific northwest is effectively the promised land for my people, bicycles and craft beer and plentiful and celebrated. To more effectively keep track of the beers I consume I'll of course be taking photos, but I'm pondering finally getting on this Twitter thing I keep hearing about. Not sure on a user name, but I'm open to suggestions. So far the best one that's been suggested is 2wheels1cup. I kinda like but I'm not sold on it. Until something more interesting happens to me riding and/or drinking, bottoms up.

No comments:

Post a Comment