Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bell's Wild and New Glarus Belgian Red

This is Bell's Wild One Ale:
Linkage. You'll have to click on specialty, then find Wild One in there. But it's basically a blend of 20 different batches fermented in oak barrels with wild yeast. They all bring a little something different to the party, and the result is awesome. I snagged this at a Des Moines favorite: El Bait Shop, which is without a doubt one of the finest bars in America. Yes, yes, your favorite bar is awesome too, but this place has more craft brews than damn near any place in the world and specializes in American craft/micro/awesome beer. Plus it's a chill place to hang out, and despite the fancy beers, is not pretentious. Anyway, the beer is tart and sour like any good wild fermented beer should be. There are lots of extra flavors in there, mostly oak and hops, but other harder to pin down hints are in there too. I don't pretend to be able to tell you what they are, but they add up to a great Michigan made Belgian style sour ale. Reportedly only available on tap, so hopefully your local beer bar has it.

Not terribly long ago, I wrote about the raspberry tart/sour that New Glarus made. At the time I mentioned that I had also purchased the cherry version, which I'd had before. I also promised to review/compare them. Here goes nothin.
New photo offered as proof.

This beer is tart, sweet, sour, almost sticky but not in a too sweet kind of way. A very excellent entry into the wild-sour-fruit category. If you're in Wisconsin, get some.
Now to compare the raspberry to the cherry. Basically the cherry is somehow better. Not entirely sure how, but it's more tart in the right way and the wild yeast twang comes through a bit better. This thought is weird to me because I like raspberries a helluva lot more than cherries, and I generally like raspberries (and indeed most other berries) as a flavor in general over cherries. Pies, candy, the fruits themselves, pretty much everything raspberry >> cherry. Maybe the tart cherry flavor works better with the barley and hops? I'm not sure and until I'm in Wisconsin and can get these beers in significant quantities, I'll likely not be able to put my finger on it. And if I am in Wisconsin for enough time to pin that down, it'll be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment