Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hoptimum.


Sierra Nevada Hoptimum.

Follow that link. Do it. Do it now. Highlights for the lazy or those who will "do it later": 100 IBUs, 5 kinds of hops, including a proprietary variety, massive gravity numbers, 10.4% abv, hops added in as many ways as possible.

All that adds up to the one of the best beers I've ever had. This redefines the megahopped IPA in my book, and hopefully everyone else's book too. Sierra Nevada has raised the bar. I've had plenty of really big IPAs, and they're all good in their own right, but the depth of the hop flavor here is incredible and something I've never had before. I've tasted all these flavors in beer before, just not in a single sip. It's like I was drinking the hops entire lives, from first bud to harvest. There are fruity citrus notes, deeper pine notes, floral flavors drifting in and out, I am struggling to find the words to explain this. I need to get more of my friends to try it, and enlist their help in explaining this. Damn near every hop flavor that can be achieved is present. I'm actually a little surprised there's only five different kinds of hops involved.

The body is sufficiently malty to withstand that hop barrage, and in fact supports the rest of the beer really really well. The finish is where you finally get a bit of malt flavor but that's supplanted by more hop bite, and it lingers and totally works.

Go drink this beer. I need to go find more.

1 comment:

  1. It's a Great beer. Lucky for me I live about 3 miles from Sierra Nevada Brewery

    ReplyDelete