Thursday, February 24, 2011

Turning 30, trail update, and assorted rambling thoughts

Earlier this week, Tuesday in fact, I turned 30. There's supposed to be some change, or at least long introspective period, I'm quite sure everything is pretty much the same. I don't really feel any older, but rarely has a birthday given me that feeling. When I feel older is when people somewhat older than I am treat me as an equal instead of some neophyte who doesn't know much, or perhaps when I'm trying to do something I did routinely in college, but failing this time. Anyway, thus far, being 30 isn't anything terribly new and different. The day itself was uneventful, I worked, came home, ate dinner, drank a couple beers, and went to bed. The following day was Wednesday, my standard day off. I rode. I was hoping for 30 miles, and despite the wind and colder than predicted temps, I got there.

As you may recall, I wrote a week or so ago about the condition of the High Trestle Trail and how it was still pretty snowy.
A bad example, but things have changed. Aside from 40 yards a bit past Irvindale, the trail was mostly clear. Though if you look closely at that photo, you'll notice some very large tire tracks, probably from a truck or four wheeler. I was confused and mildly annoyed that someone had been driving on the trail. That was short lived.
Look at that nice clean edge. Someone plowed a section of the trail. It was awesome. After the initial snow piles, there was nary a bit of snow for 3-4 miles. Not sure who the mystery plowman was, but thank you.

I rode from my place in northwestern Ankeny past Slater a few miles then got chilly and turned around. The weather forecasting folks told me it'd be 44F or so, and only a light breeze. It was fairly windy and maybe 35. It wasn't the best conditions, but with the proper gear it was tolerable.

No photos of fancy beers this time. I've been drinking many of the same fancy beers I've already written about. Maybe some great understanding or introspective revelations will come to me in the next weeks, but so far my 30s started the way my 20s ended; mildly confused, hopeful but cautious, and with a beer in my hand.

In the past couple weeks for reasons I cannot put together, and definitely not having to do with my aging, I've reconnected with some friends I'd lost touch with years ago. It feels pretty great. Catching up with folks I've only seen in passing or not at all for literally 5 years, it has really reminded me about the importance of friends and not letting friendships wither without reason. Both of these folks (they know who they are) were never super close friends, but people I thought about sometimes, and thanks to facebook, at least knew they were doing okay. But there's no substitute for a good conversation and a couple beers to reconnect with someone.

Raving thoughts about my bourbon beer: liquor in my beer? holy hell, yes please. I've liked beers aged in liquor barrels for ages now, and jumped at the chance to make my own. The kit was easy enough to follow, but called for soaking the included oak chips in 16 oz of bourbon. That seemed like a ton of booze to me, so I halved it. I was thinking about reducing it and a couple buddies who brew councilled me, and we collectively figured 8 oz should do it. Turns out that was about right. I coulda gone for a touch more, but regardless this beer is awesome. You can taste the bourbon (duh), but also the oak and some smokey hints too. I've super glad I bought this kit. Now I just need to get a spring/summer beer started so I can have a nice refreshing beer to come home to when the weather gets warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment